Tuesday, March 11 2014
Keywords: tfs, build controller, build agent, test controller, test agent, offline, unavailable, There was no endpoint listening, Windows Domain Group Policy, Windows Service Pack, Proxy Settings, Firewall
TFS build agent is offline or unavailable and cannot talk to build controller...after a service pack
If you got an error message stating that "TFS Build Agent could not Talk to Controller: There was no endpoint listening at http://servername:9191/Build/v3.0/Services/Controller/x that could accept the message"...and although your build agents show the 'READY' status on them...they are either offline or unavailable...then you are in the right place.
This is happening because build agent cannot communicate to build controller...maybe it used to...but not any more.
I have witnessed few possible causes so far:
- Windows Firewall (or a 3rd party firewall) was off and now it is on. A Windows service pack per example could turn a dormant firewall back on.
- Windows Domain Group Policy pushed Proxy Server Setting changes to the server where build controller and/or agent are running at.
- A Windows service pack enabled proxy server settings.
To fix the problem:
1) Turn off any firewall on the build controller and/or agent machines...or punch a hole to open the port...usually it is port 9191...You could turn off Windows Firewall from Services. Disable and stop it both so that it wouldn't auto-start the next time Windows restarts.
2) Turn off Proxy Server...I am now going to walk you through this process step by step:
a) Shift-Right-Click (or any other combination of keys your flavor of Windows expects it) on Internet Explorer so that you could "Run it as another user"...and open it up with the same windows credentials as the one running the build service account.
b) Tools --> Internet Options
c) Select the "Connections" tab.
d) Click on "LAN Settings" button.
e) Unselect/uncheck the check box that says "Use a proxy server for your LAN...".
f) Restart TFS build service, from TFS Administration Console.
Written by Montreal DBA Team